A healthy and effective communication in the workplace is the key to constructive conversations and avoiding conflict. Now imagine working somewhere where nobody’s expressing themselves. Where it’s all gibberish with no added value and everybody’s misundertood.
As a working adult, your job is where you spend half of your waking hours. A lack of communication only creates tension, frustration and could affect negatively your mental health. Continue reading to discover how can communication with colleagues in the workplace affect the quality of your day to day work life!
What does effective communication at the workplace look like?
The company offers an environment where you are capable of voicing your opinion unhesitatingly? You are always getting valuable feedback from your colleagues and managers? You are not afraid of asking questions and demanding help if needed?
Congratulations! You are working among a team that communicates well.
A good workplace communication is attained through mutual respect among colleagues and a motivating and uplifting manager who acts as a leader and not only as a boss. Where everyone’s opinion is appreciated and every interaction is valued.
Why is communication in the workplace so important?
We have been on and on around how the lack of effective communication in the workplace affects negatively the quality of work and decreases employee engagement.
Multiple surveys and researches have demonstrated the latter statement of which we’ll mention:
- Disengaged employees could cost organizations over $450 billion dollars every year. This loss is manifested through wage dollars, retraining time, loss of profit, loss of sales, and much more. (Conference Board)
- 86% of employees and executives say that workplace failures are due to the lack of collaboration or ineffective internal communication. (Salesforce)
- 33% of employees cite lack of open and honest communication to be the reason behind their low morale. (Recruiter)
Moreover, an effective communication in the workplace displays so many benefits for the business, among which we have:
- An improved productivity
- A higher level of satisfaction among employees
- A better fluidity and interaction between coworkers
- A greater work spirit
- A high level of motivation in the workplace
- Overall better results and business achievements
How to achieve a good communication at work?
We have put together 3 paths to explore in order to perfect the quality of your internal communication:
- Practice effective listening: We are always busy talking and not giving much attention to what the other party is trying to say. In order to attain mutual understandig, we must listen attentively and respond pertinently. Effective listening is also a good tool to make the interlocuter feel valued and respected.
- Be clear and concise: In a business context, there is no time to lose over unnecessary stories. There are objectives to be reached at the end of every day. To do so, make sure your speeches are simple and straight to the point. The ability to speak clearly and simply will help you make a great first impression at work.
- Be empathetic: Humans are social creatures. They live off connecting and sharing with their fellows. So whether in the workplace or elsewhere, understanding one another and putting oneself in the other party’s shoes helps avoid conflicts and strenthegns the bonds among work colleagues.
Effective communication in the workplace is the key to building trust, implementing respect and strengthening teams. And it is a fundamental aspect to care for as a means to achieve better outcomes.
If you are looking for a new job, we recommend that you learn about the campany’s communication style before you go to the interview.